Saturday, December 18, 2010

Burn Baby Burn

Well this post is quite overdue, but I hope to get everyone up-to-date soon.


I got to use my new favorite tool a few weeks ago.  Not only does it help me manage the weed population, but it also gives me an excuse to play with fire!

I have to say that there is something primal and soothing about fire.  What is even better is knowing that you are helping the soil and killing weeds at the same time.  Earlier this fall I took care of all of the weeds that had taken over the garden last season.  Having a 20lb propane tank strapped to your back and flame-weeder in-hand is an experience that is quite rewarding.... those weeds didn't even stand a chance!

Not only does it kill most weeds that are growing, it also reduces the number of viable weed seeds.  So hopefully we will have an easier time weeding next season.  The other benefit is that all of the the ash and charcoal help enrich the soil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment