Monday, April 18, 2011

Building of the "Chick-mobile" Part 2

OK... So after a week or two of my chicken tractor laying half finished I decided it was time to make some more progress.  Since it was raining, Michelle and I pulled everything into the machine shed so we would have a dry place to work.
 The biggest question I have been pondering since I started this project was how do I attach the pvc hoops to the wooden sides so that it is strong and does not cost me an arm and a leg...


This is what we came up with...  It seems to be holding very nicely and after both ends of the pvc are attached to opposite sides it tightens up even more.  I think that this might just work....

 One hoop down.... five to go...



This was about all that got done on saturday.... since the first three quarters of the day was spent in Ft. Dodge buying supplies for a couple other projects for the garden.




...Sunday morning... back to business....



.


....and no.. that is not my equipment in the background... 
but the hoops are coming along quite well.  



I am pretty happy with how this the door and frame came out.  We built it from 2X3s .... and I am not going to tell you about the part when I shut off my brain and made the cross pieces 5 inches too long... oh well.. thats what chop saws are for...


Finally it is starting to look like something.  I got the back panel on. I also attached the purlin to the top of the hoops to keep them spaced evenly under the stress of storms and what not.

1 comment:

  1. We are going to be building a simple coop for our meat birds and this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete